Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My [Soon To Be] Illegal Health Insurance Plan

For a long time I did not have health care. I was fresh out of college and was relatively healthy. For me, there was no real need for health insurance. But, a year and a half or so ago I decided that it was in my best interest to sign up for a health care plan.

I spent about two weeks using sites like ehealthinsurance.com comparing literally hundreds of plans with all kinds of different features until I found the one that suited me best.

I selected an HSA from Kaiser Permanente. An HSA (Health Savings Account) is similar to an IRA, but for health care savings rather than for retirement. A person enrolled in a HSA is allowed to contribute up to $3000 tax free each year to their account.

Under Federal law, these HSA’s must be paired with a HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan). For example, my plan has a $1200 deductible, but everything after that is covered 100% by Kaiser.

I love my plan...

To read the rest, please visit my site: http://americanlyyours.com/?p=533

No comments:

Post a Comment